As we all look forward to the warmer weather and getting outside, we at OLITA want to take a minute to raise awareness about skin cancer and prevention. May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month and with over 5 million cases diagnosed in the United States each year, we think it’s important to remind you how you can protect your family.
Melanoma is the deadliest type of skin cancer, and while it’s not 100% preventable, there are many ways to reduce your risk.
- Wear a sunscreen that will protect you from harmful ultraviolet rays and be sure to reapply every 1-2 hours throughout the day, even on cloudy days. Ultraviolet rays, both UVA and UVB, are also responsible for premature aging, dark spots, uneven skin tone and sunburns. So put on that sunscreen!
- Use at least an SPF 30 sunscreen and be sure to apply at least 30 minutes before heading out. The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is a relative measure of the amount of sunburn protection provided by sunscreens. So as the SPF value increases, your sunburn protection increases. Slather it on and keep it on while you're outside!
- Limit sun exposure, especially between the hours of 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. when the sun is the strongest. And if you do go in the sun, wear a hat, protective clothing or find the shade. Umbrellas, trees and awnings provide protection on sunny days. And don’t forget the sunscreen, it’s the only way to go!
- Use sunscreen as a part of your daily moisturizing ritual. Making sunscreen part of your daily ritual ensures you’re always protected from the sun’s UV rays. Make sunscreen a habit!
- Set a good example for your children by protecting your skin from too much sun. Their young, tender, sensitive skin will thank you in the future. Wrinkled sun-damaged skin is from the sunburns from years ago. Sunburn prevention now means healthier skin when you’re older.
- And most importantly, examine your skin regularly. Have your doctor check your skin during all other health exams, or at least once a year or visit one of Melanoma Know More’s free monthly skin cancer screening clinics.
At OLITA, our products were created to help care for the skin of your most precious people, so you can play outside safely no matter where the day takes you. We believe in clean, conscious ingredients that protect the earth and our skin. We are doing our part to prevent skin cancer while protecting our planet. Our 100% made in the USA sun care products protect and nourish your skin before, during and after playing outside with vitamins and age-defying antioxidants that block the damaging UV rays.
We’re also committed to doing our part to protect Mother Earth. Our products are Reef Safe and we give 10% of all sales to the Coral Reef Alliance to help save the world’s coral reefs. Protection with a Purpose.